I have to admit that I am just now starting the book. So far, I am happy to say that I find it an interesting read!
I think what I will do is give my thoughts on each chapter as I read them.
A sense of community seems to be a very important component of a healthy life. I thought about this in terms of school and at home. I felt like the following quote summed up what the chapter was about. "They had to appreciate the idea that the values of the world we inhabit and the people we surround ourselves with have a profound effect on who we are (pp. 10 - 11)." How does this relate to Manor ISD? I believe that building a sense of community in our schools will help our students do better in school. Being a part of something bigger than our own little worlds gives people a sense of belonging. We can choose to join in or become an outsider.
In my opinion, we need to figure out what Manor ISD stands for and then build a community where people WANT to belong. We have to make sure that the way we represent our school district to others reflects our goals. The members of our community have to buy in to our goals and want to share them with others. Sometimes, in doing this, we become our own worst enemies. When we make comments such as, "It's nice to hear good things about Manor for a change" we are really bringing to light all the things that are wrong.
Since I live in Manor, I also thought about our new community. Living in a neighborhood does not necessarily make us a part of the community. We need to get to know our neighbors, join in on some of the neighborhood activities, become more a part of what is being built here in Manor.
Wednesday, December 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment